TRAVEL GUIDE: ANNAPOLIS, MD

I've spent quite a bit of time in Annapolis, Maryland over the years, due to the fact that my sister attended (and recently graduated from) the Naval Academy. 

With that said, I thought it would be appropriate for me to share my favorite spots to go to while visiting the city.


Standing in front of our lovely rental house in Annapolis!


Let's get to it!


EATS

1. LEMONGRASS - My sister introduced my family to this restaurant, as it was one of her favorites, and now it is mine too. I don't normally like Thai food, but their Pad Thai is incredible. I love the peanuts in it. I highly recommend this place for a dinner with the family, but beware - it can get busy!

2. RUTABAGA CRAFT JUICERY - Every city I visit, I look for a smoothie or fruit bowl shop. Unfortunately, Rutabaga was found at the end of my sister's days at USNA, which is a bummer because I loved it. I enjoyed my smoothie, but I feel like your experience at RB will be better if you spend the extra three-ish dollars to get a bowl. Bryson got the PB & J bowl and I kept sneaking bites because it was incredible. Unfortunately, I have to mention that I think RB is a little overpriced, but still worth the visit.

3. EL TORO BRAVO - I am a sucker for Mexican food and this place stands out when I recall my experiences at Mexican restaurants. The chips & salsa were delish, and I loved my burrito. Obviously, I can't drink, but my sister and my mother have gotten margaritas both times we have gone and loved them! It is the perfect spot for a family lunch or dinner, and literally right downtown!


SHOPS

1. SEA BAGS - I can't deny my love for my home state (Maine!), which is why you need to stop at the Sea Bags store in downtown Annapolis. All of the bags at their stores are made from recycled sails. The spirit of Maine, being a state with miles of coastline, and Annapolis, being the sailing capital of the world, truly come out in this store and through their products. Not to mention you should always support businesses that do their part to help the environment, and not hurt it! Do yourself a favor and check out this store - right in the center of the shopping center in downtown.  


2. THE BLACK DOG - As you may be able to tell, most of the businesses in downtown Annapolis are centered around the ocean. This store, in particular, has a lot of locations, but it was started on Martha's Vineyard because of the owner's love for the ocean. I love the style of this company. It is so timeless and they have great essentials - sweatshirts, hats, and even things for your furry friends. Check out their store near the harbor in downtown. 


3. THE LUCKY KNOT - This store is another nautical themed store in downtown Annapolis. They have a fun, Lilly Pulitzer-like style, that I adore. Their prices tend to be a bit expensive, I will say. With that said, they have some classy and fun dresses that are perfect for your next summer bash!


STAY

1. GIBSON'S LODGING OF ANNAPOLIS - I stayed here once with my mother and I loved my time! This space is old, yet clean and fun, and it'll make you feel like you're staying in the mansion in the game Clue. It is also rumored to be haunted, and I for one, love that, but I didn't experience anything of the sort. I love that the rooms are essentially large bedrooms in the house. I feel like it causes interactions with the other guests to be more friendly! I HIGHLY recommend staying in this place because of the atmosphere, and because it is located right downtown. 

2. THE NAVY LODGE OF ANNAPOLIS (Sadly, only if you're militarily affiliated) - I've stayed here dozens of times during my sister's first two years at USNA and it is great! Unfortunately, it is a distance away from the yard, but it is near a huge PX that I love. I totally recommend it if you can stay there. 

3. AIRBNB & VRBO - Annapolis is a city with so much history and charm. Make sure to check out housing rental sites/apps to see if you can truly immerse yourself in the city lifestyle by renting a locals place! We did this for my sister's commissioning week and it was my best experience in Annapolis yet. 


ACTIVITIES

1. THE CLAY BAKERS - I've visited this place twice while in Annapolis and I am so glad I did. Young or old, painting ceramic pieces that you can actually use, is fun! It made me feel like a kid again. 


2. A NAVY FOOTBALL GAME - You absolutely have to go to a Navy Football game. Yes, college football itself is all the same, BUT everything is just so much better at the Naval Academy because there is so much spirit. Plus, there are always veterans being honored at the games that absolutely melt my heart!


3. LEARN TO SAIL - I've been on a sailboat in Annapolis, but not through a company, it was actually with my sister and her bf at the time. But where else would you want to learn how to sail than in the sailing capital of the world?? This would be such a fun family activity, and I feel like everyone should try it once in their life. Since I have done it, I have so much more respect for those that do it often. It takes discipline, practice, and attention. I have linked a company that seems to do a good job providing sailing lessons. It seems like they'll have you sailing like a pro in 2-3 days!


Thank you so much for reading! I hope this helps you have the best adventure ever in Annapolis. It is a lovely place.



Until Next Time,



MM

Comments